• Principal Investigator, Playing Beowulf: Gaming the Library, AHRC Digital Transformations programme, 2015. £50k
• Principal Investigator, The Story Engine, with The Ministry of Stories, NESTA/ACE/AHRC Digital R&D in the Arts Fund, 2014-15. £120k
• Principal Investigator, Game Design, Coding and Creativity, IOE HEIF award, 2013-14. £30k
• Academic Lead, MAGiCAL projects software R&D, 2013-.
• Co-Investigator, Screening Literacy: a study of Film Education in EU members
states. European Commission, 2012. €50k.
• Principal Investigator, Playful Shakespeare: developing a game-authoring tool for
Macbeth with Shakespeare’s Globe and Immersive Education, AHRC Digital
Transformations programme, 2012. £30,000
• Principal Investigator, Montage, Mash-up, Machinima: the literacies and legacies
of young people’s moving image production, with the BFI and University of
Leeds. 2012. First Light: £56,000.
• Co-investigator, Impact Study of Ministry of Stories, Hoxton, London. 2012-
• Co-Investigator, MODE: multimodal research methods. ESRC National Centre for
Research Methods. 2011-2015
• Principal Investigator, Children’s Playground Games in the Age of New Media,
AHRC Beyond Text programme, 2009-11, £600,000
• Co-investigator, Media Literacy: Towards a Model of Progression, ESRC 2009-
• Expert adviser, Euromeduc, European Commission, 2008-9 (France, Belgium,
• Co-investigator, Teaching and Learning in Second Life, Eduserv Foundation,
• Director, Rhetorics of Creativity, Creative Partnerships, 2005-6, £22,000
Co-Director of research, Making Games, PACCIT-LINK programme, ESRC/DTI, 2003-2006, £201,805
• Co-director, Textuality in Video-Games: narrative, interactivity and role, AHRB,